SYP - Driver - August 2022
Department: Vehicle Fleet Management (Driver Services)
Location: Unit 17, Churchill Way, Sheffield
Salary: £20,118 - £21,837
Hours: 37 hours per week
Contract Type: Temporary (12 months)
This is a temporary/secondment opportunity with a view to extending further than 12 months.
The role of a driver is to provide a service to SYP, to deliver/collect/move items such as Vehicles/mail/property/exhibits/furniture/personnel around the force and at times outside of force area maintaining a professional and confidential approach.
- Check vehicles, reporting any damage to vehicles and equipment.
- Convey as may be required drugs, firearms, DNA Samples, Cash, exhibits, files, tapes, various property, Uniform, mail and equipment throughout the Force area and country where appropriate.
- Drive Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCV) and/or Large Goods Vehicles as and when required (provided qualified and passed the appropriate SYP test).
- Provide transport to Senior Leadership Group as and when required by the Driver Services Co-ordinator (requires completion of relevant SYP qualification).
- Collection and disposal of confidential waste/used toner cartridges.
- Transport personnel including South Yorkshire Police employees/witnesses/Actors.
- Move/deploy road barriers as and when required.
- Recover broken down vehicles, re-fuel vehicles and check oil, water, tyres, battery etc. Clean and valet vehicles inside and out.
- Duties in relation to alcolmeters as and when required.
- Assist in the receipt of oil and fuel deliveries. Re-charge batteries. Clean and maintain garage and parking areas (when trained)
- Responsible for the management of all travel arrangements (including route planning and timings, location maps, parking facilities)
- Responsible for the security of the vehicle and equipment at all times whilst engaged on driving duties. When requested, to assume responsibility for ACPO documentation.
- Any other duties required to be carried out commensurate with the grade of the post.
Skills and experience:
- Must possess a current, clean full driving licence, to include cars and light vans up to 7,500 kg GVW.
- Ability to pass a Police driving test(s) prior to an offer of employment.
- Must use Airwave Radio & Satellite Navigation System.
- Pass SYP vetting at appropriate level to post.
- Must be Computer Literate.
For further information relating to the role and tasks of this position, please refer to the attached role profile.
We offer generous entitlements and supportive policies to enable a better work-life balance, some of which are listed below:
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Flexible and agile working
- Generous ‘family’ leave
- Voluntary CPD Events for all staff to allow continuous development
- Mentoring & Coaching Scheme
- Paid Professional Subscriptions when relevant to role
- Access to a range of occupational health facilities
- Generous pension scheme
- Employee assistance service (accessible 24/7)
- Additional benefits for Westfield Health members
- Cycle to work scheme
- Sports and Social Club
Applicants must meet the minimum requirement checkable history criteria, which must be taken into account for individuals applying to work with South Yorkshire Police in any capacity. A minimum checkable history of 3 years / 5 years is required for this role and successfully undergoing recruitment vetting procedure is a pre-requisite of employment with South Yorkshire Police.
Appearance & Standards:
The Force is currently reviewing the Appearance and Standards Policy, with particular focus to Tattoos. All visible tattoos will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, pending consultation of the Policy review. Until such time, please do not be discouraged from applying to the Force as any visible tattoos will be discussed on a case-by-case basis. Any tattoo which could be deemed inappropriate, or cause offence will not be accepted. If you have tattoos, you will need to make a declaration at the time of application.
South Yorkshire Police’s Key Values:
Please find attached information sheet on South Yorkshire Police’s Key Values. The force has a particular focus on three areas, Fairness, Integrity and Trust. Under each of these three headings there are key behaviours we expect all employees to adhere to.
Thursday 18 August 2022 at 23:55
Closing dates are not normally extended, other than in exceptional circumstances and agreement is made between the Talent Acquisition Manager and the Line Manager for the role.
Contact point for applicants:
For further information about the role, please contact Tina Carter or Richard Shelton on either 0114 296 1405 or 0114 296 1404 or extension 711405 or 711404. Please do not contact Tina or Richard for an application form.
Did you know? You can copy and paste the link currently in your browser and access this vacancy at home.
Diversity & Inclusion:
South Yorkshire Police welcomes applications from under-represented communities. For further information on diversity and inclusion within South Yorkshire Police, please visit the diversity and inclusion page:
If you are from an underrepresented group and want to find out more about the support we can offer, please contact our dedicated team on email@example.com
In addition, we will look to support anyone who requires Part Time/Job share working hours.
Apply for the role:
To apply for the role, please click the ‘Apply’ button.
Note to candidates:
Please note that, should you be successful at the interview stage, the relevant internal or external pre-employment checks are required. These include vetting clearance or review, prior to being appointed to the new role and start date being agreed.
To apply for this post as a secondment, you must have the support of your current Line Manager. This should be sent via email to the Hiring Line Manager. Please ensure that the role title and the closing date are stated in the subject of your email.
Without support, your application will not be considered any further.
This opportunity is closed to applications.