SYP - Head of Information Systems
Role: Head of Information Systems
Department: Information Systems
Location: South Yorkshire & Humberside
Salary: Executive 6 - £76,026 - £83,739
Hours: 37 Hours per Week
Allowances: Car Allowance & Relocation Allowance of up to £8,000
Contract Type: Permanent
This is an exciting time to join the collaborative IS service between SYP and HP. Both Forces are seeking to optimise their digital infrastructure and embrace new technologies. A new IS leadership team has recently been appointed to and the post-holder will have the ability to influence the future structure and shape of IS delivery.
The role will be visible to both senior leadership teams, providing regular communication around all IS opportunities and challenges. Technology is a business critical factor in operational delivery and the successful candidate will be of critical importance to enabling effective performance.
- Developing, gaining approval for and implementing the long term IS strategy to support the business’ aims and objectives of both Forces.
- Developing, gaining agreement to and achieving annual plans and budgets for the department which align with the Force’s business plans and policies.
- Managing and controlling the department’s operations to maintain the security, integrity and performance of ongoing computing, network and communications services to agreed SLAs and established KPIs.
- Advising the Chief Constables and senior management on the development and use of IS technology to enhance the effectiveness of the Forces.
- Leading the development of the department’s policies and standards to ensure compliance with the Forces’ guidelines, regional initiatives and regulatory frameworks and managing their implementation.
- Planning and controlling the identification, procurement bid case and commissioning of the resources necessary (including all hardware, software, and people) to meet the agreed IS strategy within the Forces’ budgetary and policy framework.
- Leading the department’s contribution to regional and national developments in IS to achieve the optimum solutions for policing and to protect the Forces’ interests.
- Developing and maintaining constructive relationships with suppliers, contractors and IS management in the Police Service / Home office for the benefit of the Forces and to protect the Forces’ interests.
- Providing leadership and motivation to the IS department staff so they contribute fully to the achievement of the department’s objectives.
- Line managing the performance and development of direct reports and their staff to ensure all staff are operating effectively.
Our Ideal Candidate will have:
- Good theoretical ICT understanding, typically from a University education, and a professional qualification in a relevant ICT discipline.
- Good business and commercial understanding and analysis of needs to be able to develop appropriate long term cost effective systems solutions in a rapidly changing business and technical environment.
- Ability to advise and secure the commitment of senior management users on the best IS approach for the overall benefit of the Forces.
- Political awareness and inter-personal skills to be able to develop relationships and influence a wide variety of stakeholders on behalf of the Force and the IS department.
- Detailed understanding of the Police Force’s operational needs and how ICT services must respond and adapt to meet them.
- Prior experience of leading and managing professional staff over multi sites.
- Prior experience of designing and managing organisations, teams and roles.
- Prior experience of leading change programmes and ensuring efficiencies through new ways of working.
- High level leadership behavioural competencies.
We offer generous entitlements and supportive policies to enable a better work-life balance, some of which are listed below:
- Generous Annual Leave allowance
- Flexible & Agile Working
- Generous ‘family’ leave
- Reward Leave (additional 1-2 days annual leaves to reward employees with no sickness/absence)
- Voluntary CPD Events for all staff to allow continuous development
- Mentoring & Coaching Scheme
- Paid Professional Subscriptions when relevant to role
- Access to range of Occupational Health facilities
- Employee Assistance Service – (accessible 24/7)
- Additional benefits for Westfield Health members
- Cycle to work scheme
- Sports and Social Club
- Free travel pass offered for the first month of employment – (through Travel South Yorkshire)
- Generous Pension Scheme
Applicants must meet the minimum requirement checkable history criteria, which must be taken into account for individuals applying to work with South Yorkshire Police in any capacity. A minimum checkable history of 5 years is required for this role and successfully undergoing recruitment vetting procedure is a pre-requisite of employment with South Yorkshire Police.
Appearance & Standards:
All tattoos and piercings must be in line with South Yorkshire Police’s Appearance and Standards policy. Tattoos visible on your face, neck, hands or head are not permitted. Any tattoos which could be deemed inappropriate or cause offence will also not be accepted. If you have tattoos, you will need to make a declaration at the time of application.
Wednesday, 6th November 2019
Closing dates are not normally extended, other than in exceptional circumstances and agreement is made with the HR Manager, Recruitment and the Line Manager for the role.
Contact point for applicants:
For further information about this post please, contact Nigel Hillier on 0114 2523 435. Please do not contact this numbers regarding the recruitment process.
Did you know? You can copy and paste the link currently in your browser and access this vacancy at home.
For further information relating to the role and tasks of this position, please refer to the attached role profile.
Diversity & Inclusion:
South Yorkshire Police welcome applications from under-represented communities. For further information on diversity and inclusion within South Yorkshire Police, please visit the diversity and inclusion page:
Apply for the role:
To apply for this post please submit your CV & a Covering Letter to Michelle.Webster@southyorks.pnn.police.uk.
This opportunity is closed to applications.